Recipe by SassiKatt Chef
A very hearty rice and bean combo that falls somewhere between soup and stew. It is very thick but not overwhelming. A delicious addition could be grated cheese, sour cream or even guacamole. I love to dip corn chips in this dish. It gets better left over and freezes nicely. I consider this comfort food, but it doesn't have all the calories and fat like most "real" comfort foods. It also is a one pot prep on the stove.
Top Review by Crafty Lady 13
A nice dish to have on a cold evening. The flavors worked well together. I added a little cayenne pepper and left out the 2 cups of water. I used a 29 oz. can of petite diced tomatoes, including the juice. I let everything simmer for about 1-1/2 hours and the celery and carrots were still a little crisp, but it added some nice texture to this dish. Made for Spring, 2009 PAC.
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 2 celery ribs, scraped and chopped
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 red ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped or 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, including juice
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped carrot
- 2 cups cooked rice