Recipe by Martina
Saskatoons grow wild where we live. This recipe could probably be used for blueberries as well. Use 1 quart of filling for a double crust pie. If you choose to can the berries in pint jars, it makes a great cheesecake topping.
Top Review by Scutch
I was going to submit my pie filling recipe and found yours. Mine is very similar except I use 3/4 of a cup of lemon juice. I have tried it on cheesecake and it is amazing. Also very good over a plain white cake. We actually had it for our wedding dessert over Almost French Pastry (Cracker Dessert). Amazing!! To switch the flavor a bit, I have added almond extract to it and it is very good too.
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil together the water and lemon juice.
- Add the saskatoons, and bring to a boil again.
- Mix the sugar with the cornstarch thoroughly.
- Add the sugar/cornstarch mixture to the saskatoons.
- Stir and cook until juice is thickened and clear.
- Pour in sterilized quart or pint jars.
- Process in hot water bath for 20 minutes for quarts or 15 minutes for pints.