Recipe by Iowahorse
This is From the Edible Wild Fruits and Nuts of Canada, published by the National Museums of Canada.
- 1 cup beef jerky, beef or 1 cup venison, coarsely powdered
- 1 cup dried saskatoon berries or 1 cup dried blueberries
- 1 cup un-roasted sunflower seeds or 1 cup crushed nuts, of any kind
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1⁄4 cup peanut butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
Directions See How It's Made
- This version uses peanut butter rather than melted suet or lard as the binding agent, which is more palatable for today's health conscious diets.
- Although you can do it the old way if you wish.
- Grind[or pound] the dried meat to a mealy powder.
- Add the dried berries and seeds or nuts.
- Heat the honey, peanut butter and cayenne until softened.
- When cooled, store in a plastic bag or sausage casing in a cool dry place.
- It will keep for months.