Prep 0 mins
Cook 25 mins
This saskatoon berry pie recipe may not require you to turn your oven on if you have some pre-baked crusts on hand. Would probably taste great if made in a graham crust as well! I haven't tried this yet (as my berries got eaten before they got baked into anything) but it looks easy to make, maybe next year... Found in the Summer 2005 issue of Canadian Gardening.
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 5 cups saskatoon berries
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 baked 9-inch pie shells
- Boil water, sugar & lemon juice together for 10 minutes.
- Add berries and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Dissolve corn starch in cold water and add to berries.
- Cook for another 5-10 mins until thickened.
- Remove from heat, add almond extract and stir.
- Pour into baked pie shells then let cool.
- Top with whipped cream, if desired.