1/1 Photo of Saskatchewan Chocolate Spice Bread
I found this in a magazine promoting our Saskatchewan grains and had to try it. This bakes up with a wonderful texture and who doesn't love chocolate and spice? The magazine suggested spreading it with ginger marmalade which sounds wonderful. Slices of this bread will carry well in a packed lunch.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 73.94 ml unsalted butter, melted, plus more for greasing the pan
- 354.88 ml flour (spoon flour into a dry-measure cup and level off)
- 78.07 ml cocoa powder, sifted after measuring (Dutch-process or alkalized)
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml ground cinnamon
- 2.46 ml freshly grated nutmeg
- 2.46 ml ground ginger
- 2 large eggs
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 78.07 ml packed dark brown sugar
- 158.51 ml sour cream (low-fat sour or regular )
- 1Lightly grease loaf pan with a little unsalted butter, then line the bottom of the pan with parchment or wax paper cut to fit; butter the paper as well.
- 2Position a rack in the middle level of the oven; preheat to 350°F.
- 3Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and spices in a bowl or on a large piece of parchment or wax paper.
- 4Whisk the eggs in a large bowl to break them up, then whisk in both sugars.
- 5Whisk for a minute, or until the mixture lightens, then whisk in the 5 tablespoons of butter and the sour cream.
- 6Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture all at once; gently whisk until smooth.
- 7Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth out the top, pushing the batter evenly into the corners.
- 8Bake on the middle oven rack for 35 to 40 minutes, until the bread has risen and a toothpick or a narrow-bladed knife inserted into the center of the bread emerges clean.
- 9Transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes, then unmold the bread and let it cool completely on the rack. When ready to serve, transfer to a cutting board.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Saskatchewan Chocolate Spice Bread
Serving Size: 1 (725 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2376.0
- Calories from Fat 932
- Total Fat 103.6 g
- Saturated Fat 60.1 g
- Cholesterol 604.4 mg
- Sodium 1830.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 340.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.6 g
- Sugars 178.0 g
- Protein 41.6 g