Recipe by Simple_cuisine
This is a typical North Indian vegetarian dish. The recipe posted is my own. It is very simple to make and highly nutritious. Hope you enjoy it!
- 2 bunches fresh spinach (2 packets cut baby spinach)
- 1 bunch mustard greens
- 1⁄4 cup chopped small onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger paste
- 2 teaspoons garlic paste
- 1⁄2 chopped tomato
- 2 large dry roasted red chilies (option if you do not want it hot!)
- 2 tablespoons fulls ghee (Indian butter made from cow's milk .This is important since Ghee gives that special taste to the Saa) or 2 tablespoons butter (for frying, Indian butter made from cow's milk .This is important since Ghee gives that special tast)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash, cut and boil spinach and Mustard separately until tender.
- Let cool and grind them together to a paste.
- Heat ghee in a pot and add cumin seeds. Let it splutter.
- Add onions and let brown then add red chillies.
- Mix in ginger,garlic and tomatoes.
- Stir and let cook for 2-3 minutes and then add sugar.
- Mix in spinach-mustard paste.
- Stir well and add salt.
- Add 1/4 cup water if the gravy is too thick.
- Cook covered for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with white steam rice or Makke ki roti (Indian flat bread made from corn).