1/1 Photo of Sarson Ka Saag (Indian Mustard Greens)
Lavender Lynn's Note:
Recipe from all recipes
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large dried hot red chili peppers (optional)
- 2 bunches fresh spinach, washed and chopped
- 1 bunch mustard greens, washed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 1/2 tomato, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon white sugar, to taste
- 1/4 cup water (optional)
- 1Place the chiles into a dry skillet over medium heat, and cook and stir until the chiles turn dark red-brown in color and give off their fragrance, 1 to 2 minutes.
- 2Remove from heat, allow to cool, and remove stems of chiles; shake out the seeds, and tear the flesh of the roasted chiles into pieces. Set aside.
- 3Place the spinach into a saucepan over medium heat; place mustard greens into a separate saucepan.
- 4If leaves are dry, mix in 1 or 2 of tablespoons of water.
- 5If leaves are still wet, just cover the pans and simmer the greens until tender, about 10 minutes. Allow to cool.
- 6Place greens together into the work bowl of a food processor, and pulse several times to break up the greens, then process to a paste, about 1 minute.
- 7Heat ghee in a large saucepan over medium heat, and stir in the cumin seeds, stirring for about 30 seconds or until the seeds sizzle and turn a darker brown color.
- 8Mix in the onion, cook and stir until lightly browned, about 3 minutes, and mix in the roasted peppers, ginger paste, garlic paste, and tomato.
- 9Mix in the pureed greens, bring to a simmer, and stir in salt and sugar to taste.
- 10If dish is too thick, mix in up to about 1/4 cup of water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the greens are the desired thickness.
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sarson Ka Saag (Indian Mustard Greens)
Serving Size: 1 (148 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 73.0
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 10.9 mg
- Sodium 91.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 3.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: