Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Turkey to Central Asia, most cuisines have a hearty winter yogurt soup thickened with rice or flour and sometimes enriched with beans as well: the Armenian spas, the Turkish yogurt corbasi, the Uzbek katikli khorda and so on. This particular Armenian soup is a lighter model for milder weather, made with Swiss chard and herbs.
- In large pan, add walnuts to water, bring to boil and simmer until slightly tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add rice, cover and simmer until done, about 15 minutes.
- In medium pan, cook chard in 2 cups water until tender, 2-3 minutes. Drain well.
- In small bowl, stir flour into yogurt until smooth.
- Stir into rice, bring slowly to boil, stirring constantly, and cook, continuing to stir, until thickened, about 1 minute.
- Add yogurt and cooked chard to rice. Stir in cilantro and mint. Season to taste with salt. Cook 3 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold.