2 hrs 50 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Member #610488's Note:
In the Slavic former provinces of the Ottoman Empire (Slovenia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Serbia, Bulgaria, Republic of Macedonia and Romania), sarmale is a traditional meal for Christmas and other religious holidays. Traditionally, a pot filled with sarmale is usually prepared for an entire family. This also occurs in Armenia, as well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- kosher salt, to taste
- 1 large head green cabbage, cored
- 1/2 cup long-grain rice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 white onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red chili pepper flakes
- 12 ounces ground beef
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups sauerkraut, rinsed
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 6 slices bacon (optional)
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 (28 ounce) canned whole tomatoes, undrained and crushed
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add cabbage and cook, pulling off each outer leaf with tongs as it becomes tender, about 2 minutes per leaf.
- 2Transfer cabbage leaves to a baking sheet; set aside and continue boiling cabbage until you have 20 leaves.
- 3Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a 4-qt saucepan. Add rice and boil for 10 minutes. Drain rice; set aside.
- 4Heat oil in a 10" skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring, until soft, about 8 minutes. Transfer onion mixture to a bowl along with the rice and let cool slightly.
- 5Add 1 tbsp dill, bread crumbs, paprika, and chile flakes. Stir to combine. Using your hands, fold in beef and season with salt and pepper; set filling aside.
- 6Heat oven to 375 degrees F
- 7Set aside 4 whole cabbage leaves. Working with remaining cabbage leaves one at a time, stem each leaf and cut leaf into 4" square pieces. Repeat to make twenty-eight 4" square pieces.
- 8Spoon 1 tablespoons of reserved filling onto center of a square. Bring up 1 edge of square and roll into a cylinder, tucking in sides. Transfer stuffed cabbage to a 6-qt Dutch oven.
- 9Repeat with remaining leaves and filling, arranging stuffed cabbage in a circular pattern in pot as you go. Finely chop any remaining cabbage; set aside.
- 10Top stuffed cabbage with remaining dill, along with sauerkraut, thyme, bacon, and bay leaves. Top with minced cabbage leaves and tomatoes and pour in stock and 1/2 cup water.
- 11Cover with the reserved whole cabbage leaves. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- 12Cover, transfer to oven, and bake until stuffed cabbage is tender and flavors meld, about 2 hours. Let cool slightly before serving.
Browse Our Top Greens Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Greens Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sarmale (Stuffed Cabbage)
Serving Size: 1 (504 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 321.9
- Calories from Fat 125
- Total Fat 13.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 39.1 mg
- Sodium 621.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.5 g
- Sugars 11.5 g
- Protein 16.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: