Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Posted in response to a request for Croatian Recipes. I have not tried this recipe. Source: St. Anthony Croatian Church Women's Guild Los Angeles, California. Times are estimated
- 2 large heads of cabbage
- boiling water
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can tomato soup
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3⁄4 lb ground beef
- 3⁄4 lb ground pork
- 3⁄4 lb ground ham
- 2⁄3 cup cooked rice
- Remove bruised leaves from cabbage and cut out center core.
- Pour boiling water over cabbages to soften.
- Meanwhile, sauté bacon and onion until bacon is done.
- Add half the tomato soup.
- Beat eggs and add salt, pepper, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, ground beef, pork and ham.
- Add bacon mixture and rice and mix thoroughly.
- Separate cabbage leaves and drain.
- Place heaping tablespoon of stuffing at core end of each cabbage leaf and roll carefully, tucking in ends.
- Place rolls in layers in Dutch oven or heavy kettle.
- Chop small unused leaves and place over to.
- Pour remaining soup and add enough water to cover rolls.
- Cover and simmer 2 to 2-1/2 hours.
This turned out pretty good (please see how I rate recipes)! I love these made with sauerkraut leaves too. If you are looking for a Croatian dish, I would recommend BLITVA (Swiss chard with potatoes and garlic) Sarma (Cabbage Rolls)! Served with fish or prosciutto it is simply amazing.
I saw this recipe elsewhere and printed it out. It rocks and I make it quite often!