Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Posted in response to a request for Croatian Recipes. I have not tried this recipe. Source: St. Anthony Croatian Church Women's Guild Los Angeles, California. Times are estimated
- 2 large heads of cabbage
- boiling water
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can tomato soup
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3⁄4 lb ground beef
- 3⁄4 lb ground pork
- 3⁄4 lb ground ham
- 2⁄3 cup cooked rice
- Remove bruised leaves from cabbage and cut out center core.
- Pour boiling water over cabbages to soften.
- Meanwhile, sauté bacon and onion until bacon is done.
- Add half the tomato soup.
- Beat eggs and add salt, pepper, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, ground beef, pork and ham.
- Add bacon mixture and rice and mix thoroughly.
- Separate cabbage leaves and drain.
- Place heaping tablespoon of stuffing at core end of each cabbage leaf and roll carefully, tucking in ends.
- Place rolls in layers in Dutch oven or heavy kettle.
- Chop small unused leaves and place over to.
- Pour remaining soup and add enough water to cover rolls.
- Cover and simmer 2 to 2-1/2 hours.
This turned out pretty good (please see how I rate recipes)! I love these made with sauerkraut leaves too. If you are looking for a Croatian dish, I would recommend BLITVA (Swiss chard with potatoes and garlic) recipe #40953! Served with fish or prosciutto it is simply amazing.
I saw this recipe elsewhere and printed it out. It rocks and I make it quite often!
Family is Croatian and we go to St. Anthony Parish in Los Angeles. The sarma is excellent if you like meat and cabbage. Alot of preparation involved. We prepare a lot ahead of time for a party usually one day.