Recipe by Adopted Parisian
Hola! If you have never had tortilla soup, you will love it! It is a delicious broth, chock full of flavor, from all the delicious ingredients. It gets it's name because you put a layer of broiled tortilla strips at the bottom, then pour the soup over that. You can make it very spicy or not spicy at all, depending on your preference. Very fun presentation for guests to make it look like you worked really hard when you didn't! I usually double the recipe since it is still fabulous the next day.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 chicken breasts (shredded)
- 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 cup chopped onion (bite sized)
- 1 cup sweet white corn
- 1⁄4 cup salsa
- 1⁄8 cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- Tabasco sauce (to taste, start small!)
- seasoning salt (to taste)
- 12 corn tortillas
- 4 cups cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 2 cups cilantro (chopped)
- 2 limes (quartered)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in large soup pot.
- Add chopped garlic and stir until lightly browned.
- Add shredded chicken, brown slightly. Does not need to be cooked completely yet.
- Add broth, water, tomatoes, beans, onion, and corn in turn.
- Bring to a boil then turn heat down and simmer on med-low for 10 minutes.
- Add salsa and lime juice, tabasco and salt to taste, and simmer 15 more minutes.
- While soup is simmering, slice tortillas into 3/4" wide strips. Place on well-oiled cookie sheet and broil until golden and very crisp.
- To serve: in large soup bowl layer tortilla strips, soup, then sprinkle with cheese and cilantro. Squeeze plenty of lime juice over top.