Recipe by kiwidutch
I am working though posting some recipes from my Portuguese cookbooks, this is adapted from Portuguese cooking by Hilaire Walden. I plan on making this recipe but if you make it before I do, I would appreciate the feedback.
Top Review by EyeGuy
The Sardines were good. The tomato base had a wonderful flavor with minor modifications. Following on previous comments, I added about a 1 1/2 T of tomato paste and 1/4 t of Frank's hot sauce and subbed chicken broth for the wine. Served the base over Quinua (though rice would have worked well).
- 2 1⁄4 lbs fresh sardines (1 kg, cleaned & scales removed)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups tomatoes (peeled, seeded, diced)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 small onion (finely diced)
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley (chopped)
- 4 tablespoons fresh dill (chopped)
- 1 cup dry white wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C)
- Brush the fish with half of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Use the rest of the olive oil to grease a shallow oven dish.
- Combine the tomatoes, onion, garlic, parsley, dill, a little more salt, pepper and the wine and spread evenly over the bottom of the oven dish. Place the sardines on top of the tomato mixture and spoon a little of the mixture over the sardines.
- Bake until fish is cooked (depends on the size of the sardines) between 10-20 minutes.
- Serve immediately.