From Emeril at the Grill. A very easy and traditional way to enjoy fresh sardines. Serve this with lots of crusty bread!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs fresh sardines, scaled cleaned and rinsed
- 2 cups tomatoes, peeled seeded and diced (about 1 pound)
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup kalamata olive, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons red onions, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 4 roma tomatoes, halved
- 1Lay the sardines on a clean kitchen towel, and remove any excess moisture from them. Refrigerate until ready to grill.
- 2Preheat a grill or broiler to medium high, and make sure the grates are VERY clean (to prevent the fish from sticking).
- 3In a mixing bowl, combine the diced tomatoes, 1/2 cup olive oil, olives, parsley, basil, onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix well, then set aside at room temp until you are ready to serve.
- 4Place the sardines on a rimmed baking sheet, then drizzle with 1/4 cup olive oil, turning to coat completely. Season with the remaining salt and pepper.
- 5Oil the grill grates well, then place the sardines directly on the grates. Cook undisturbed, until the skin is crispy and slightly charred (2-3 minutes), at which point they will release easily from the grill. Turn them over, and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- 6While the fish are cooking, brush the lemon slices and tomato halves with some of the remaining olive oil, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Place on the grill with the fish, and cooked until they get char marks, about 2 minutes.
- 7Place the sardines on a serving platter, drizzle with the remaining olive oil and 1/4 cup lemon juice. Serve immediately, with the grilled lemon and tomatoes, and the tomato-olive vinaigrette spooned over the top.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sardines Portuguese-Style
Serving Size: 1 (508 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1126.5
- Calories from Fat 856
- Total Fat 95.1 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 322.6 mg
- Sodium 2405.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 58.0 g