Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
It's been a long time since I've posted a recipe, so I figured I'd go with a simple favorite here. During my time away, I've been exploring African and Middle Eastern food a lot. This one, from Benin, requires almost no work, and the flavors are fantastic. (Note: I usually roughly chop the sardines, to spread the goodness around.)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (I prefer peanut) or 1 tablespoon peanut oil (I prefer peanut)
- 1 (7 ounce) can sardines, drained
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup water (approx.)
- cayenne pepper (or more, to taste)
- 1 bunch spinach or 1 bunch turnip greens or 1 bunch kale or 1 bunch collard greens or 10 ounces frozen spinach
- In a large heavy pan, brown the onion and garlic in the oiil. Add the other ingredients and cover.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes and serve over rice.