Prep 48 hrs
Cook 1968 hrs
Get the freshest fish you can find! 4 kg fish will fill a 2 litre glass jar. Eat on their own with fresh bread with a good glass of white wine, or fillet for a pasta alla Puttanesca.
- 4 kg fresh sardines
- 3 kg rock salt
- wine vinegar, to taste
- dried chili, to taste
- oregano, to taste
- garlic, to taste
- olive oil, to taste
- Place the sardines into a 10 litre bucket.
- Cover and mix with layers of the salt -about1 kg and make sure that every fish is covered in salt. Be gentle when you mix them or you will damage the fish.
- Leave 24 hours.
- Take the sardines still in the salt in the dish to the beach. Wash the excess salt off with sea water,removing all blood and loose scales.
- When at home again, remove the heads and entrails.
- Do not try to remove the scales at thisstage,as you will damage the fish.
- Place the fish in a stoneware or stainless steel pot,layered with the remaining rock salt.
- Cover with a thick layerof rock salt.
- Place a plate on top.
- Place a weight on top eg 4-5 washed bricks or a bluestone pitcher.
- Leave for 28-40 days.
- Remove the weights and wash the salt off the fish in a good wine vinegar solution of 1/2 vinegar, 1/2 water, removing any scales.
- Dry the fish thoroughly.
- Place in a sterilized jar, top and tail.
- Sprinkle each layer with garlic, oregano and hot chillies.
- Drain any excess brine out of the bottom of the jar.
- Cover in the best quality olive oil you can buy andleave for up to 4 weeks before eating.