This flavorful appetizer uses fresh (or frozen) sardines. Found at lovetoknowcooking.com...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 sardines (fresh or frozen)
- 1 lb seasoned flour (flour mixed with salt and pepper. Use white pepper if you have it)
- 8 tablespoons olive oil (more might be needed)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 dried chili, chopped large (Anaheim or Ancho work well)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup sherry wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup white wine
- salt and pepper
- 1 large red onion, sliced into wedges
- 1 large green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1Prepare the fresh or frozen sardines as follows: Cut the heads off the sardines. Split each sardine along the belly and clean them if needed. Turn them over so the backbone is on top. Press down along the backbone to loosen it and carefully remove it from the fish. Remove any other bones that you find.
- 2Dust the sardines with the seasoned flour.
- 3Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan. Fry the sardines 3-4 minutes each side. Remove the sardines from the oil and let cool on a plate.
- 4Place the fish in a single layer in a baking pan.
- 5Add 6 tablespoons of oil to the oil in the frying pan. Cook the onions over a low heat until soft. Add the garlic and cook for a minute.
- 6Add the bay leaves, cloves, chili pepper, paprika, and salt and pepper to taste. Fry for two or three minutes.
- 7Add the vinegar and wine. Bring to a boil, then pour over sardines. Let cool and then cover. Refrigerate overnight.
- 8Before serving the sardines, place the red onion, bell pepper, and cherry tomatoes on a cookie sheet and roast in a 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes.
- 9Place the sardines two to a plate. Garnish with the roasted vegetables.
Browse Our Top Spanish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spanish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sardines in Escabeche
Serving Size: 1 (200 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 415.0
- Calories from Fat 153
- Total Fat 17.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 34.0 mg
- Sodium 128.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 12.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sherry wine vinegar