Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a supper I like to put together for myself as it's on my partner's "No thank you" list. It is a bit vague, but let your own taste guide you.
- 100 g sardines in oil
- 1⁄2 onion, diced small
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 anchovies (from a jar, in oil)
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 dried red chili peppers, crushed
- cherry tomatoes, a handful, halved
- fresh flat leaf parsley, a handful, chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
- Get the pasta cooking.
- In another pan gently fry the chopped onion in the oil from the sardine tin - soften but don't let the onion colour.
- Squish the anchovies into the pan.
- Add the garlic, capers, chillis and tomatoes - stir.
- Cook gently while your spaghetti finishes cooking.
- Just as the spaghetti is ready, stir half a cup or so of the pasta water into the sauce, gently stir in the sardines and the parsley to warm the sardines through.
- Drain the pasta and stir together.
- Resist the urge to serve cheese over this.