Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a wonderful summer salad. Chilled or even room temperature, this is a perfect salad. This recipe happens to be a combination of 2 or 3 different recipes, taking the best parts from each one and ending up with this. For a main dish, add diced grilled chicken or you can just serve it along side your favorite grilled foods. It travels well so it is great to take to BBQ's, cookouts, parties, potluck, camping, or perfect for a light summer dinner. The dressing recipe makes a bit more than what you need, but just save it. It is great mixed in with some tuna fish for a quick wrap sandwich, or as a dressing over fresh grilled vegetables or fresh tomato slices. It won't go to waste. Prep time made vary depending on what type of rice you decide to use.
- 4 cups brown rice, cooked
- 3⁄4 cup red seedless grapes, cut in half
- 3⁄4 cup green seedless grape, cut in half
- 2 celery ribs, fine diced (save the leaves and chop those too)
- 4 scallions, fine diced (white and green parts)
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 3 tablespoons of fresh mint, fine chopped
- 1⁄2 cup vinaigrette (see recipe below)
- 1⁄4 cup orange marmalade
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon red wine (cabernet, merlot or chianti all will work fine)
- 1 teaspoon shallot, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Dressing -- Mix the red wine, vinegar, shallot, orange juice, honey, salt and pepper. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil and whisk well until combined. Set to the side as you make the salad.
- Walnuts -- In a small non stick saute pan, add the walnuts and bring to medium heat. Saute 3-4 minutes until you begin to smell the nuts and they are lightly toasted. Just watch them carefully, it doesn't take long. Once they are toasted, remove from the heat and transfer to a plate to cool.
- Rice -- I prefer brown rice for this recipe, but you can always use white rice or a blend if you prefer. The brown rice just adds a nice nutty flavor. Cook the rice according to package directions.
- Salad -- In a large bowl add the rice, after it has cooled along with the celery, celery leaves, grapes, scallions, nuts, and mint. Toss well to combine.
- Dressing -- Mix 1/2 of the vinaigrette you made earlier and stir in 1/4 cup orange marmalade, whisk well to combine. Drizzle over the salad and toss.
- Serve -- Just ENJOY!