Recipe by SarasotaCook
A quick easy recipe using canned black beans for a side dish any night of the week. I love this with my Margarita Chicken or just any citrus grilled chicken or fish. Maybe a nice spicy chili rub on chicken would be a nice dish with these beans.
Top Review by Chef TanyaW
This is really yummy. I served it as a side dish with fish tacos. I can't wait to eat the leftover beans in a burrito with rice and a creamy cilantro dressing. I made beans on the stovetop instead of using canned beans.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium onion, diced fine
- 2 tablespoons garlic
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies
- 3 tablespoons salsa
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil to saute the onion and garlic
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup chicken broth (optional, see step 3)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, fine chopped as a garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Vegetables -- In a large saute pan, heat to medium and add the olive oil and saute the onion and garlic and cook on medium, not too high, you want them to sweat more. Cook 4-5 minutes.
- Spices -- Add in the green chilies, salsa, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper and mix well, still on medium heat. Now add in the beans and stir to combine.
- Just let it hang out and cook on low heat while you prepare your main course. As it simmers I often add just a little chicken broth for some moisture. Each time it is different, 1/4 cup up to 1/2 cup, depending on how long they simmer. After 5 minutes the beans are done, but if you are still waiting on your main dish to be ready, maybe add a little more broth as the beans simmer so they don't dry out.
- Right before serving -- taste for salt and pepper and stir in the cilantro. That's it!