1/2 Photos of Sarasota's Spicy Garlic and Bacon Lima Beans
I actually really like Lima Beans. But, I realize I'm probably in the minority. Salt, pepper and butter is all I need, but this is a great recipe for them. I try to get a few of my "picky" friends to try new vegetables now and then, and this is one of them they really liked. Just a few ingredients takes ordinary frozen vegetables and makes them a great side dish. NOTE: Some think that butter beans are the same as lima beans - and they are - well similar. Both are lima beans, but they are 2 separate varieties. The baby lima beans are the small green ones; whereas butter beans are actually Fordhook, and they are larger and buttery in color (hence the name butter beans), and they do have a stronger flavor. You can buy both frozen, canned, and dried; but difficult to find fresh. For this dish I use frozen. It makes it a quick easy dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen baby lima beans, thawed (the small green ones)
- 4 -5 slices bacon, diced (I prefer a smoky flavor)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (you can use more or less, according to taste)
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (more or less depending on taste)
- 1 teaspoon butter (you can add more if you like)
- 1Bacon -- In a medium sauce pan, add the bacon and begin to saute on medium heat - don't try to rush it. After the bacon begins to crisp up, drain any excess drippings from the pan. I leave just enough drippings in the pan (1/2 teaspoon), to coat the onion and garlic.
- 2Onion and Garlic -- Add the onion, garlic, and red pepper flakes to the pan with the bacon and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- 3Beans -- Finish it up. Add the broth, beans and butter and simmer uncovered (medium heat) for 5 minutes or less until the beans are warm and the broth is reduced. Season with salt and pepper.
- 4Serve and enjoy!
Browse Our Top < 30 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sarasota's Spicy Garlic and Bacon Lima Beans
Serving Size: 1 (142 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 186.0
- Calories from Fat 70
- Total Fat 7.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 11.9 mg
- Sodium 212.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 8.0 g