Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is my girl friends recipe ... well, a recipe that a fellow chef gave her. So this has gone round and round - but her family can't have it often enough. I have made it several times as well, and it is very good. A bit heavy for me as I usually make a much lighter sauce, but every now and then I enjoy making this. And I love the addition of the vegetables which add a little light flavor to the rich sausage. Just tasty. As any spaghetti sauce, Serve over your favorite pasta, tossed salad and bread. How can you not serve salad and bread with spaghetti?
- 2 lbs Italian sausage (I prefer mild, hot takes away from the other flavors)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans tomato sauce (make sure to rinse out the cans with a little water to get all that sauce)
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian stewed tomatoes, San Marzano is a great choice (lightly chop, using a pair of scissors right in the can works great)
- 2 medium red bell peppers, diced
- 2 medium green peppers, diced
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups button mushrooms, sliced (cremini are a bit too woodsy for me)
- 8 minced garlic cloves (I used 8, you can use more or less depending on your taste)
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (you can use a bit less if you want. You could always had a bit more at the end if you want a bit mor)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup fresh parsley, fine chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Sausage -- Remove the sausage from the casing. In a large sauce pan, add the olive oil and bring to medium high heat. Add in the sausage and cook on medium to medium high until golden brown, breaking it up as it cooks. Once it is brown, remove to a plate lined with a paper towel to drain. Just let it rest while you saute the vegetables.
- Vegetables -- In the drippings from the sausage, add in the peppers, onion, mushrooms, and garlic. Just cook 3-4 minutes until the vegetables are well coated and they begin to slightly soften.
- Crockpot -- Transfer the entire pan of vegetables including the drippings into the crockpot. Add in the sausage, tomatoes, brown sugar, basil, oregano, chili powder, cayenne, and you are done.
- Cook -- Low for 4-5 house, Medium High for 2-3 hours. It is basically all cooked, you are just getting all the flavors combined.
- Finishing -- Once done, turn off the heat and slowly add in the cream and fresh parsley. Check for any salt and pepper and season accordingly. It is a thick sauce, but if you like it a bit thinner you can add in just a little water or broth.
- Serve -- Just enjoy with your favorite pasta and of course fresh grated cheese.
- NOTE: This can be made on the stove as I did the first time. Just start everything in a large pot, and after the vegetables sauteed, add the sausage back in and all the other ingredients (except the cream and parsley which go in at the end). I cooked mine the first time for about 2 hours on medium low heat.