Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Basic, quick and easy and the perfect light summer time sandwich. Now fresh shrimp is great, however, I used a previously frozen shrimp, but uncooked and I loved to serve this on a nice whole wheat sandwich bun which to me add lots of flavor. Top with a fresh tomato slice and lettuce. I prefer to use a butter, Bibb, or Boston type of lettuce.
- 1 lb shrimp, I used extra large
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 2 medium celery ribs, cut lengthwise and then diced fine (more or less to taste, I happen to love celery in mine)
- 1 small onion, fine diced
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise (I really prefer Hellmanns or Dukes not Miracle Whip)
- 2 scallions, white and green parts fine chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 lemon, fresh squeezed (about 1 teaspoon is all you need)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh parsley, fine chopped
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning (to taste)
- 6 whole wheat sandwich buns
- 6 tomatoes, slices
- 6 lettuce leaves
- Shrimp -- Bring a medium pot of water and bay seasoning to a medium boil. Heat should be medium / high. Add the shrimp and bring back up to a boil. Remove from the heat and let the shrimp to continue to cook 1-2 minutes until they just turn pink and begin to curl. You don't want to overcook them. Remove from the water and set on a baking sheet or pan and spread out and let to cool. Once slightly cooled, peel and rough chop.
- Salad -- In a medium size bowl, add the shrimp, and squeeze the lemon over the top. Add the onion, celery, parsley, mayo and mix well. If you are adding in the scallions, add them at this time as well. Season with a pinch of the Old Bay, start slow, you can always add more; then salt and pepper to taste. Mix well to combine. Continue to season with any additional salt, pepper or Old Bay until you get the taste you want.
- Sandwich -- I like to toast my sandwich rolls, but it is not necessary. I just like the added flavor. No butter, No oil, just toasted. Then top with the shrimp salad,lettuce and tomato. I also like to lightly salt and pepper the tomato slice, finish with the top sandwich roll.
- Serve -- Fries, chips, a pickle or a fresh fruit salad. Just ENJOY!
My husband I loved this shrimp salad! So easy and fresh tasting. I used the larger amount of Old Bay and the scallions. Perfect!