Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a simple dish to make with fresh flavors. Garden cucumbers, sweet shallots and fresh dill. Now, I chose Tilapia because for those "non-fish lovers," this is a mild fish and very reasonable priced. However, I have made this using Cod, Halibut and Grouper, which all work equally as well. If using a thicker fish, cooking times will have to be adjusted. For this recipe, I like to roast some grape tomatoes and fingerling potatoes for an easy and healthy side dish. NOTE: This is also very good over salmon, but I pan sear the salmon without the flour coating. Just season and pan saute.
- 4 tilapia fillets (or you can use your favorite white fish)
- 118.29 ml flour (I prefer rice flour, but any flour will work)
- 0.25 ml cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 1.23 ml paprika
- 2.46 ml kosher salt
- 2.46 ml black pepper
- 14.79-29.58 ml butter
- 1 lemon, cut in half (1/2 of the lemon to squeeze on the fillets and the other half slice for a garnish)
- 1 English cucumber, peeled, cut lengthwise and cut in 1/4-inch half moons (seedless, if you can find a seedless cucumber, just make sure to remove the seeds)
- 1 large shallot, thin sliced
- 29.58 ml capers
- 236.59 ml sour cream
- 29.58 ml white wine (optional)
- 29.58 ml minced fresh dill
- 4.92 ml butter
- Cucumbers -- Peel and cut cucumbers. Remember, seedless cucumbers, although they call them seedless, have some seeds, I do a light scoop to remove any seeds, but it is NOT necessary. If you can't find a seedless cucumbers, You will need 2 large cucumbers, as they have a lot more seeds that you would need to take out. Just use a spoon to scrape out the seeds. Once the seeds are removed, cut into 1/4" half moons. I just lay them out on a paper towel to dry out. I don't worry about salting them.
- Fish -- Prepare the fish first by removing them from the refrigerator to take the chill off. In a small pie plate or dish, mix the flour, cayenne, paprika, salt and pepper and lightly dredge the fish. Set on a plate off to the side while you start your cucumbers. Both the cucumbers and the fish take just a few minutes, so make sure to have everything ready.
- Cucumber Saute -- In a medium saute pan, I prefer a non stick pan for this, medium high heat, melt the butter and and add in the shallots. Saute for 1 minute, Then add in the wine and cook another minute. Add in the cucumbers, capers and cook 2 minutes. Then reduce to medium low heat and add the sour cream, and season with salt, pepper and dill. Stir to combine to warm up the sour cream and transfer to a bowl and cover to keep warm.
- Fish -- Now in the same pan, just wipe it out and add 1-2 tablespoons butter and bring to medium high to high heat. Add the fish and cook 3-4 minutes per side until golden brown. They cook very quickly. The second side will usually cook much quicker. Now remember, cooking times will vary depending on the thickness of the fish.
- Serve -- Remember the half of lemon we didn't slice; squeeze a little lemon over each fillet and top with the warm cucumbers and garnish with a lemon slice. ENJOY!