Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is an easy quick pan seared fish with a creamy lemon sauce. Served over lemon savory herb rice which is nothing more than white rice, lemon juice, scallions, thyme, and butter. Depending on how you make your rice, this literally takes a few minutes. I like broccoli, beans or asparagus, on the side ... but pick your own. It is a easy quick dish which could easily be served for company. I used Tilapia, but any white fish will work with this dish. Tilapia is mild, affordable and readily available.
- 4 tilapia fillets
- 1 lemon, cut in 8 slices (2 per fish)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 teaspoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (more or less to taste)
- 1 large shallot, fine chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, fine chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, fine chopped (more or less to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon flour
- 3 -4 cups cooked white rice (just use your favorite)
- 3 scallions, fine chopped (white and green parts)
- 1⁄2 lemon, fresh squeezed
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Optional Rice -- If you are planning to make the rice, start now. Any rice - any method you want. Once it is finished, move to the back burner and stir in the butter, lemon juice, scallions, salt and pepper and mix well. Keep it covered while you make the sauce and fish. As the rice was cooking, start the sauce.
- Sauce -- To a small sauce pot, add the cream, flour, thyme, and lemon zest and bring to medium heat. Let the cream simmer 10 minutes. It will naturally reduce. Once the sauce is done. Remove from the heat and add the lemon juice, salt, pepper and parsley.
- Fish -- Make sure your fillets are not icy cold. Remove from the refrigerator to let them warm up a bit before cooking them. Season each fillet well with salt and pepper on both sides. Sprinkle each side of the fish lightly with flour. I just use my small strainer which works perfect, but you can also just sprinkle it on with your hand. It is a light dusting is all.
- Cook -- In a large saute pan, bring the pan up to medium high heat and add the butter and olive oil. Add the fish and the lemon slices. The lemon slices can cook right next to the fish. Cook the fish until golden brown on the first side and then flip.The fish will probably only take 3-4 minutes per side. Don't over cook.
- Serve -- Fluff up the rice that is finished on the back burner. Serve 3/4-1 cup of rice on each plate, top with a fish fillet and 2 lemon slices, and drizzle with the lemon cream sauce. A light easy recipe. ENJOY!