I love burgers, who doesn't? But I get bored with the "traditional" burger; so anytime I make burgers ...I make them different. I have no favorites -but probably have 50 different burgers I make and enjoy. Lamb, turkey, Chardonnay, one with Merlot, onion, stuffed or not, avocado, shrimp, Mediterranean, Chipotle, Mexican and that covers just a few of them. And I just don't add a different cheese, sauce or topping I change all the flavors. It is lots of fun and it can make a whole different flavor to your meal. This is another favorite and definitely not hard. A bit healthier with the turkey and serve with some sweet potato fries on the side and a small salad with a citrus dressing for a wonderful dinner.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 tablespoons mayonnaise (no Miracle Whip)
- 1 teaspoon pineapple juice (reserved)
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced (more or less to taste)
- 1 tablespoon green onion, white and green parts diced fine
- 4 sandwich buns, King's Hawaiian Sweet Hawaiian Sandwich Rolls, (http ( or or www.kingshawaiian.com or products or sandwich-rolls.php, if you can find these they are)
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, cut in 4 sliced
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple, sliced in natural juice (reserve the juice 1/4 cup for burger, 1/8 for glaze, and 1 teaspoon for mayo)
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup red pepper, diced fine
- 1/2 cup scallion, diced fine (white and green parts)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1/8 cup pineapple juice (reserved)
- 1Burger -- Now I like to make these ahead, and then freeze for 15 minutes or so. To me, just that little bit of freezing really helps to hold the burger together well and makes it easier to cook. It also allows me to get other parts of the dinner started.
- 2In a medium size bowl, add the bread crumbs, scallions, red pepper, soy sauce, pineapple juice, and pepper and mix well. Then add in the turkey and mix to combine. Over mixing can cause a tough burger. Form 4 patties and set on a cookie sheet (lined with parchment or foil) and cover with plastic wrap and freeze for 15 minutes or so, just to firm up.
- 3Mayo -- Mix in the mayonnaise, scallions, soy, pineapple juice and garlic and set in the refrigerator -it's done.
- 4Glaze -- Mix the pineapple juice and teriyaki and set to the side - it's done.
- 5Burger Buns -- I don't add butter, oil or anything, but I do like to lightly toast mine. Under the broiler or on the grill (inside or out), just lightly brown. You can do this as your burgers cook or make ahead. They don't have to be hot.
- 6Cooking -- Add your oil to either your saute pan, inside grill or brush your outside grill. Remove your burgers and I like to stick my thumb in the middle of each burger and make a small indentation. This will prevent the burgers from "puffing" up and make a flatter burger. Then add to the grill. After 3-4 minutes brush with your terriyaki/pineapple glaze and then flip and glaze again. Continue to cook another 3-4 minutes per side and don't forget to brush with your glaze. Each burger, grill and pan are different, so I do use a meat thermometer for turkey burgers as you want them done and not raw - 160. Once removed and covered with foil to rest a few minutes, then will continue to cook a bit and end up around 165. Now you can finish with the onions and pineapple.
- 7Pineapple and Onions -- Just brush lightly with olive oil and cook/grill. They should cook just a couple of minutes.
- 8Serve -- Spread some of the mayo on your bottom toasted bun, then the burger, pineapple slice, onion, then slather some of the mayo on the top roll and you are done!
- 9ENJOY! a great unique burger. It is really worth a few extra ingredients.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sarasota's Favorite Hawaiian Turkey Burger
Serving Size: 1 (348 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 530.0
- Calories from Fat 191
- Total Fat 21.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 85.9 mg
- Sodium 1567.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 16.8 g
- Protein 31.1 g