Classic and nothing fancy, but a great summertime salad. Growing up in Michigan, we always had a big garden, as well as tons of tomatoes. This became one of my favorite salads. Now, my Mom used to make it with sour cream back in the days ... but nowadays, I use plain yogurt which I think makes it a bit lighter. However, you can still use sour cream or even a mix of the two if you prefer.
- 4 -5 large plum tomatoes, lightly seeded and diced (roma tomatoes)
- 1 large English seedless cucumber, peeled and cut in half moons
- 1 shallot, thin sliced
- 1⁄4 cup plain yogurt (you can use sour cream or even a mix of the two if you want)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh dill, minced (more or less to taste, start with 1 teaspoon and you can always add more)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- Dressing -- Mix the yogurt, shallot. garlic, sugar, salt and pepper in a small bowl and set to the side.
- Salad -- In a medium bowl add the cucumbers and tomatoes. Now, if you can't find a seedless cucumber, use a "regular" cucumber and lightly seed it. .
- Add the dressing to the salad along with the fresh dill and toss lightly.
- Serve -- I love to serve mine over a bed of fresh greens and broiled fish on the side. ENJOY!