Recipe by SarasotaCook
Every now it's good to eat a bit lighter. This is a great vegetarian dish done in the crock pot. You don't have to serve this over anything, but I love this served over pine nut couscous. This can be a great side dish or a full meal. Garnish with fresh basil and crumbled feta cheese. It cooks between 4-5 hrs depending on your slow cooker.
- 680.38 g eggplants, I use the Japanese eggplant which is smaller and more tender (cubed, skin in)
- 2 medium onions, cut in half and thin sliced
- 3 celery ribs, rough diced
- 2 yellow squash, cut in 1/2-inch slices
- 2 zucchini, cut in 1/2-inch slices
- 425.24 g candiced Italian tomatoes, undrained
- 59.16 ml tomato sauce
- 118.29 ml black olives (pitted kalamata are fine too)
- 29.58 ml balsamic vinegar
- 59.14 ml chicken broth
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 14.79-29.58 ml capers
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 29.58 ml fresh basil, fine chopped
- feta cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Crockpot -- Add the eggplant, onion, celery, olive oil, tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, oregano, salt and pepper in the slow cooker and mix well. Top with the olives and squash but don't stir.Cover and cook on low for approximately 4 hours.
- Finish -- After 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 hours, when the eggplant is tender, stir to incorporate the squash and the olives into the mix. To finish, mix the sugar with the vinegar and add to the crockpot along with the capers and basil. Stir well and test for any additional seasoning, salt and pepper. Pepper is the only thing I find I need to add. Cook another 10-15 minutes, just to blend all the flavors. Perfect time to make your couscous, or maybe some grilled bread or rice. Any side dish you want.
- Serve -- As I mentioned, I prefer to serve this over couscous and garnish with feta cheese. ENJOY!