Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
A classic dish, but I cut back on the cola for my version and add beef broth, tomato sauce and add a few more vegetables for my taste. I am sure there are many versions, but I was asked to post my version - so here it is. Six (6)-8 hours and you have a great all in one meal. Serve this with a good dinner roll and a small salad.
- 1 (3 1/2-4 1/2 lb) beef 7-bone roast
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup Coca-Cola (no diet and no pepsi)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup beef broth (low salt)
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (you can add more pepper at the end of cooking)
- 1 lb red potatoes (I like the small ones, skins on)
- 1⁄2 lb carrot, peeled and cut in 2-inch pieces (thick carrots I cut lengthwise too. You want all the carrots to cook evenly at the same time, so mak)
- 2 parsnips, peeled and cut in 2-inch pieces (cut the same as the carrots)
- 1 large onion, rough chopped (not too small of pieces or they will fall apart)
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms (white or button can be substituted, leave them whole or larger ones you can cut in half)
- 1⁄3 cup fresh parsley, fine chopped (added at the end of cooking)
- Roast -- This to me is an important step. Season the meat well with a mix of the flour, salt and pepper. Rub it in well on all sides of the meat. Then in a large pan add the oil and heat to medium high. Sear the meat on all sides until you get a nice crust and it begins to brown. Just a minute per side is all you need. This really helps the flavor in this dish. Then add your meat to the crock pot.
- Crockpot -- Add all the vegetables around your roast. I like to put the carrots, parsnips towards the bottom, then the potatoes and mushrooms, and last, add the onions over the top of the roast.
- Sauce -- Mix everything together in a small bowl and pour over the meat and vegetables. Turn your crockpot on low and cook 6-8 hours. Mine was tender in 6, but it really depends on whether you have a round or oval pot, and the newer models tend to cook a bit hotter. So, you know your crockpot best. Before serving, check if you want to add any additional pepper and add in the fresh parsley.
- Serve -- Remove the roast and vegetables and make sure to let the roast set 15 minutes before slicing. Serve with the gravy on the side. ENJOY!
Great dish. Loved the sauce and all the veggies. I did mine on the stove top and cooked for 2 hours. Will do again but cook longer as my meat was still a little chewy. Used the left overs in soup and was wonderful.
This was excellent. I was leary about adding Coca Cola to a roast...but it was delish! I didn't use this recipe in a crock pot...I did it on low in the oven and it was to die for. The house smelled so good and my sweetie kept telling me if it tased as good as it smelled he was going to be in 7th heaven. We made this for New Years Eve dinner and we will be using this recipe often. Thanks for the best roast we have had in a long time SarasotaCook!