Recipe by SarasotaCook
A classic dish, but I cut back on the cola for my version and add beef broth, tomato sauce and add a few more vegetables for my taste. I am sure there are many versions, but I was asked to post my version - so here it is. Six (6)-8 hours and you have a great all in one meal. Serve this with a good dinner roll and a small salad.
Top Review by adopt a greyhound
Great dish. Loved the sauce and all the veggies. I did mine on the stove top and cooked for 2 hours. Will do again but cook longer as my meat was still a little chewy. Used the left overs in soup and was wonderful.
- 1 (3 1/2-4 1/2 lb) beef 7-bone roast
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup Coca-Cola (no diet and no pepsi)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup beef broth (low salt)
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (you can add more pepper at the end of cooking)
- 1 lb red potatoes (I like the small ones, skins on)
- 1⁄2 lb carrot, peeled and cut in 2-inch pieces (thick carrots I cut lengthwise too. You want all the carrots to cook evenly at the same time, so mak)
- 2 parsnips, peeled and cut in 2-inch pieces (cut the same as the carrots)
- 1 large onion, rough chopped (not too small of pieces or they will fall apart)
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms (white or button can be substituted, leave them whole or larger ones you can cut in half)
- 1⁄3 cup fresh parsley, fine chopped (added at the end of cooking)
Directions See How It's Made
- Roast -- This to me is an important step. Season the meat well with a mix of the flour, salt and pepper. Rub it in well on all sides of the meat. Then in a large pan add the oil and heat to medium high. Sear the meat on all sides until you get a nice crust and it begins to brown. Just a minute per side is all you need. This really helps the flavor in this dish. Then add your meat to the crock pot.
- Crockpot -- Add all the vegetables around your roast. I like to put the carrots, parsnips towards the bottom, then the potatoes and mushrooms, and last, add the onions over the top of the roast.
- Sauce -- Mix everything together in a small bowl and pour over the meat and vegetables. Turn your crockpot on low and cook 6-8 hours. Mine was tender in 6, but it really depends on whether you have a round or oval pot, and the newer models tend to cook a bit hotter. So, you know your crockpot best. Before serving, check if you want to add any additional pepper and add in the fresh parsley.
- Serve -- Remove the roast and vegetables and make sure to let the roast set 15 minutes before slicing. Serve with the gravy on the side. ENJOY!