Recipe by SaraFish
With a picture! An easy, healthy, tasty vegetarian filled bread roll that has tangy Italian flavors and makes a great meal all by itself! Your kids will love it - and get almost all their veggies for the day!
Top Review by ChefJenn
My husband could eat pizza for every meal. I decided to make this recipe and make small, 'hot pocket' sized loaves. I froze the left over ones and he takes them to work and microwaves them just like a hot pocket. He LOVES them. It's such a versatile recipe. Last night I made olive garden alfredo sauce and used that with chicken, fresh basil and garden tomatoes for a filling. We didn't have any leftovers of those! Great starter point for my imagination, thanks!
- 295.73 ml water
- 29.58 ml margarine, cut in chunks
- 4.92 ml salt
- 7.39 ml ground black pepper
- 7.39 ml sugar
- 709.77 ml flour
- 12.32 ml yeast
- 118.29 ml pizza sauce or 118.29 ml spaghetti sauce
- 236.59 ml shredded mozzarella cheese (cheddar, jack or a combo okay too)
- 59.14 ml parmesan cheese
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 can black olives, chopped
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped
- 3 clove garlic, minced
- 9.85 ml dried basil
- 2.46 ml oregano
- 2.46 ml salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all dough ingredients in your bread machine.
- Use your dough cycle to prepare the dough and allow it to rise in the machine.
- After it's done in the bread machine turn the dough out onto your floured board and knead more flour into it until it is no longer sticky and it's smooth and elastic (takes me about 1/2 cup more and about 5 minutes) and easy to handle.
- Pat it out into a big rectangle the size of your bread board (or cookie sheet) and until it's about 1/2ö thick.
- Spread these ingredients over the middle third dough.
- Start with pizza or spaghetti sauce, then half the shredded mozzarella.
- Pile on onion, bell pepper, zucchini, olives, then tomatoes.
- Sprinkle garlic, herbs and salt over tomatoes.
- Put the parmesan and the remaining cheese on the mound.
- Gently stretch one side up and over the top of the filling then the other side on top of that.
- Pinch the ends closed.
- Gently transfer, seam side down, to a large cookie sheet that you have sprayed with Pam.
- Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Brush the top lightly with olive oil and bake 350 oven for 30-45 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly before cutting.