Recipe by SaraFish
A warm filling tasty soup that's easy to make. Healthy with a protein boost from canned beans (I use black eyed peas) and lots of fiber. Reheats wonderfully.
Top Review by HEP MEP
A great vegetable soup! I was in the mood for one this weekend. It was easy to make and tasted great. I added a few left-overs - some frozen corn and lima beans, and some fresh spinach. Used black beans and a 28 oz. can of tomatoes. Very good and very well-seasoned. Thanks!
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 5 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 5 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained (or other bean)
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
Directions See How It's Made
- Use a big soup pot.
- Sauté garlic, celery and onion in olive oil until tender and glossy but not browned.
- Meanwhile dissolve bouillon cubes in a cup of hot water.
- Add bouillon water and 6 additional cups of water to pot.
- Add carrots and potatoes.
- Bring to a boil and then lower heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add spices, Worcestershire sauce, tomatoes, black eyed peas and cabbage.
- Break up tomatoes with your spoon.
- Cover and simmer another 20 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning and add salt if desired.
- I add about a teaspoon of salt.
- Serve hot!