Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
I'm doing Weight Watchers and I'm really missing rich cheesy foods like scalloped potatoes so I developed this dish using fat free and low fat dairy products and it's so good! Hope you like it too!
- 1419.54 ml potatoes, cubed
- 29.58 ml fat-free margarine (I use I Can't Believe It's Not Butter FAT FREE)
- 118.29 ml onion, chopped
- 177.44 ml nonfat milk
- 29.58 ml flour
- 118.29 ml plain fat-free yogurt
- 236.59 ml low-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 4.92 ml spicy mustard
- 29.58 ml parmesan cheese, grated, divided
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 1 large green onion, chopped
- Boil cubed potatoes for 20 to 25 minutes, until just tender. Drain.
- Melt fat-free margarine in a saucepan; saute onion until tender.
- In a measuring cup, combine milk and flour; add to onions.
- Cook and stir a minute or two until thickened.
- Turn off heat and stir in yogurt, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, spicy mustard, 1 tablespoon Parmesan, salt, pepper and green onion.
- It's okay that the cheese doesn't melt at this step.
- In a mixing bowl, combine hot cooked potatoes and onion/cheese sauce.
- Pour into casserole dish that has been sprayed with Pam.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheddar and 1 Tablespoon Parmesan cheese over top.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for about 15 minutes until bubbling.
- Cool for about 5 minutes to thicken before serving.
This was excellent, I made one substitution. I only had vanilla lowfat yogurt and used that instead. I dont know if it affected the taste but everyone really enjoyed them.
Wow, I was in potato heaven last night. I made these almost exactly as written except for two things: I had a craving for mashed potatoes and somehow didn't realize that this recipe wasn't for mashed. So before putting them in the casserole dish to bake, I mashed them up so that they were chunky mashed potatoes rather than cubed. I also substituted non fat sour cream instead of fat-free yogurt and it turned out really tasty. I can't believe that these are fat free because they taste soooo good. It also makes a ton, so I have a good amount of leftovers. Thanks for a great recipe!
These are tasty and easy to make. The only thing I omitted was the green onion as I didn't have any. This is a keeper.