Recipe by Sara 76
I make my own bread, and always end up with a lot of loaf ends left over. I came up with this to use them all up. My kids love it! It works for any meal, just add a salad for a more substantial evening meal! Cooking time does not include chilling time.
- 6 slices bread, thick slices, buttered on one side..if using crusts, butter the crust side
- 6 medium mushrooms, sliced
- 6 slices shortcut bacon, chopped
- 1 leek, trimmed washed and sliced
- 500 g low-fat cheese, grated
- 3 cups skim milk
- 12 eggs
- 4 tomatoes, sliced
- mixed herbs, I use Masterfoods Pizza Topper Herbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Line the bottom of a baking dish with the bread, buttered side down.
- Arrange mushrooms and bacon evenly over bread.
- Sprinkle evenly with cheese.
- Arrange leek evenly on top.
- Whisk milk and eggs together, and pour over dish.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Arrange slices of tomatoes on top, and sprinkle with herbs.
- Leave in fridge for at least 1 hour (or overnight if you want it for breakfast).
- Bake at 150C for about 1 hour, or until it starts to brown on top.