Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
For many years I kept the basic ingredient of this pie a secret, and for many years people wondered what was in it. Cream? Butter? Both? Well, for many years no one knew is that the main ingredient (besides chocolate, of course) is tofu! Why tofu? Not to be healthy or because I had anything against dairy, but because it's just easy. Why didn't I tell people? Because many of my picky-eater relatives wouldn't have eaten it if they'd known it was tofu. Finally, one day, after everyone had enjoyed a piece of pie, I let the secret out... but you don't have to. Make this pie, and let everyone think you spent more time making it out of cream and butter. One note: be sure to use silken tofu, not the meatier, textured tofu. Make sure it says "silken" on the box.
- 1 (12 ounce) bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 12 ounces silken tofu (firm or extra firm)
- 1 dash vanilla extract
- 1 prepared pie crust (graham cracker, Oreo or shortbread)
- Melt the chocolate chips however you like to melt them. I heat them in a non-stick skillet over a low-heat burner, stirring often and keeping a close eye so to remove them when just melted.
- Combine tofu and vanilla in a food processor. While processing, add the melted chocolate slowly. Process until well combined.
- Spoon into the pie crust. Chill in the refrigerator for a couple hours until the pie has solidified. Served chilled.
This is a wonderful recipe. Everybody loves it, and it has become one of our favorites. For an occasional variation, I add 1 cup of fresh raspberries to the food processor for a chocolate raspberry pie. Thank you, Sarah!!
Fabulous chocolate pie and who would know you used tofu. What a fantastic idea and so easy to make - only 3 ingredients plus the oreo crust. This pie will definitely be on my go-to list of desserts to make for guests and whenever we have a chocolate craving -- which is quite often. Thanks for posting this recipe. Made for Fall PAC, 2012.
Oh my GOD. This is the easiest, most chocolatey, satisfying desert ever! I always have tofu on hand and never would have thought of this. It actually sits in the pantry right next to the chocolate chips! THANK YOU for this recipe.