Recipe by Sarah L.
This is another recipe I got from my Home-Ec class in high school (great class!). I make this every year and it is such a hit, I give it for gifts.
Top Review by Annacia
This makes a moist dense loaf that DH reports as being "Very Tasty". There is no oven heat given but I set it at 330 for an hour and that seems to do the trick just fine. DH enjoyed it because I told him that it's Nut Bread without the nuts, if he knew it was pumpkin he wouldn't come within 10 feet of it. Men! I should also mention that I made a single loaf.
- 2 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 4 eggs
- 1 (16 ounce) can pumpkin
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 3 1⁄3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
Directions See How It's Made
- You will also need: 2 bread pans about 9-inch x 5-inch x 3-inch (I use the disposable ones to make cleanup easy).
- In a large mixing bowl, mix sugar and shortening until fluffy.
- Stir in eggs, pumpkin, and water.
- Blend in flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, and cloves.
- Pour evenly into pans and bake about 70 minutes.
- Plunge a toothpick or knife into the center of one of the loaves at this point to make sure it comes out clean.
- Serve warm with butter or cream cheese.