Prep 3 hrs
Cook 15 mins
This is a cinnamon roll gone orange. They are soft and could possibly give the cinnamon roll a run for its money!
- 1⁄3 cup powdered milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄4 ounces yeast
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄3 cup margarine, melted (not tub margarine)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups water, lukewarm (divided)
- 3 -4 cups flour
- 1 -2 cup sugar
- orange rind, grated
- orange juice
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 6 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- Place yeast in 1 cup warm water and let dissolve. Mix together all ingredients (add the dissolved yeast last) except the flour in a large bowl and mix on high speed until the mixture is smooth.
- Add flour gradually until the dough starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl and the dough is smooth.
- Knead until smooth. Spray a large mixing bowl with cooking spray. Place dough inside and place in a warm area covered with plastic wrap. Let raise until double - approx 1 hour.
- Divide dough in half and roll dough out 1/4-inch thick. Mix the sugar orange rind and enough of the juice just to moisten the sugar. Sprinkle on the dough. Roll up and slice with a string approximately 1-inch thick.
- Place on greased cookie sheet or parchment paper. Cover with plastic wrap again and let double.
- Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes. Mix all frosting ingredients together until smooth. Frost rolls barely cooled orange icing.