Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
These make nice moist cookies.
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup dark molasses
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Mix together margarine and sugar, then stir in molasses and water.
- Sift together the remaining ingredients and stir into above mixture.
- Chill dough for several hours or overnight.
- Roll 1/4 inch thick, cut in 3 inch circles and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 min and until when touched lightly with your finger, almost no imprint remains.
- Leave on baking sheet for a few minutes before removing to prevent breaking.
- *Leave unrolled dough in the fridge. It will quickly get too soft to handle if left out while you roll the other.
Really tasty PLEASE could you post the recipe for the icing on top? Thanks!
This reminds me of my childhood! Thank you for posting it!!
These cookies are so delicious! My mouth was watering from the smell while they were baking. I used half white whole wheat flour and half all purpose flour and added 1 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon. Thanks for sharing this recipe!