Recipe by Goat mom
When my daughter was young I was blessed to be an at home Mom. I would bake dozens of different types of cookies for the Christmas holiday. Now that I work fulltime each family member gets to chose a couple cookies for me to bake. This past year Sarah made these for all to enjoy. We do not double this recipe as the dough is stiff and its very hard to stir in larger batches.
Top Review by Clevergirl7
I make this same cookie except I use 1/2 teaspoon of ground cloves and 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger along with the cinnamon, and I do not use allspice. I used the spices in your recipe this time and they were equally delicious. This is a beautiful cookie - someone thought I got them from a bakery! Wouldn't be Christmas without them.
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat shortening at medium speed with electric mixer untill fluffy; gradually add 1 cup sugar, beating well. Add egg and molasses; mix well.
- Combine flour,baking soda, salt and spices, mix well. Add one fourth of flour mixture at a time to creamed mixture, beating untill smooth after each addition. cover and chill 1 hour.
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls and roll in additional sugar. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375 for 9-11 minutes, tops will crack. Remove to wire racks to cool.