Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A basic buttercream recipe, with options of different flavourings. This recipe doubled is supposedly sufficient to sandwich a 15-18cm (6-7inch) cake, but I have only used for cupcakes so far. Butter could be used instead of margarine, but I think it tastes better with margarine.
- 50 g margarine
- 100 g icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond essence
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice & finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon orange juice & finely grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons coffee extract
- 25 g melted chocolate
- 2 teaspoons cocoa & 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 4 walnuts, chopped
- Cream the margarine, gradually sift in the sugar, and cream together.
- Add flavouring and/or colouring, and stir.
- Use for your cupcakes/cakes, etc.