Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This recipe came from Jan Daniels and is super good. Its a good thing it was posted here because the recipe card doesn't look like it would hold up much longer.
- 1⁄4 lb butter or 1⁄4 lb margarine, softened
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk or 1⁄2 cup soured milk
- 3 bananas, overripe and mashed (large)
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup broken walnuts or 1⁄2 cup pecans
- 1 -2 cup blueberries, fresh or 1 -2 cup frozen blueberries, thawed
- 4 -6 tablespoons brown sugar
- In a large bowl cream butter and sugars. Beat in eggs, buttermilk and bananas.
- Sift dry ingredients together and mix into wet mixture. Don't overbeat.
- Stir in nuts and blueberries.
- Divide the mixture into 2 greased and floured loaf pand. Sprinkle brown sugar down the center of each loaf.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 65-70 minute (test before removing from over) should be nicely browned.
- You can sub cherries, cranberrries etc for blueberries.
Fabulous recipe -- I'll be baking these for the rest of my life. Thank you, Sarah, where ever you are and also Jan for submitting it.
Absolutely delicious! I added some cinnamon and vanilla, left out the nuts and added some coconut to half. Best banana bread I've ever had!
My husband loved this bread. He thought it was a perfect balance of sweetness. I used 2 cups of frozen blueberries and left the nuts out. The bread baked beautifully, and I froze the left overs for a quick breakfast out of the toaster.