Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I don't remember where I got the recipe, but I make it as often as possible. Even though my DH is a "nothing-but-meat-and-potatoes" kinda guy, this dish is his favorite, and I'm lucky if I get a piece before he eats it all!
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 eggplant, diced
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1⁄4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 15 ounces canned whole tomatoes
- 4 ounces canned tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 (8 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1 3⁄4 cups freshly shredded parmesan cheese
- 3 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 12 lasagna noodles, cooked
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet until shimmering.
- Add onion, eggplant, and mushrooms to skillet. Cook for 15 minutes, or until all ingredients are soft.
- Add carrot, wine, parsley, tomato sauce, and whole tomatoes to skillet. Break up tomatoes with the back of a spoon.
- Add oregano, parsley, and basil to the sauce.
- Simmer sauce uncovered for about an hour and a half, or until thick.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease the bottom of a 9 x 13" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Spread about 1/4 of the sauce in the bottom of the pan. (About 1 1/4 cups).
- Layer 4 of the lasagna noodles on top of the sauce.
- Dot the noodles with 1/3 of the ricotta cheese.
- Spread 1 cup of the mozzarella over the ricotta and noodles.
- Spread 1/2 cups of the Parmesan over the mozzarella.
- Repeat steps 7-11 two more times.
- Spread the last of the sauce over the Parmesan, and then spread the last of the Parmesan and mozzarella over the sauce to prevent it from burning.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until hot and bubbling.
The flavor of the lasagna was excellent. I followed the directions exactly, but there wasn't enough sauce. And I think cooking it for 1 hr 15 is too long. The end result was a thin, kinda crunchy lasagna. (Adding spaghetti sauce over the top and reheating it helped moisten it back up.) The flavor was great, so I'm going to try again and double the quantities in the sauce. I'll let you know how that goes.