Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is from Virginia Willis cookbook, Bon Appetit, Y'all. You can find more recipes from Ms. Willis at www.virginiawillis.com.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more to grease baking dish
- 3 yellow squash, sliced about 1/4-inch thick (about 1 lb.)
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped-preferably Vidalia
- 3 zucchini, sliced about 1/4-inch thick (about 1 lb.)
- 2 -3 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- scant 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 3 slices whole wheat bread, torn (about 2 1/2 cups, loosely packed)
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- coarse salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350. butter an ovenproof casserole dish.
- Bring pot of salted water to a boil. Place yellow squash and onion in steamer basket and set over boiling water. Steam until squash is jsut tender. Repeat with zucchini, steaming until just tender. Transfer squash and onion to bowl. Add brown sugar, eggs , butter, half and half and cheese. Season with salt and pepper and stir to combine. Transfer to prepared casserole and bake until firm and brown on top, 30 to 45 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.