Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a moist cake that is always better the second day.
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup quick oatmeal
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
Cononut Pecan frosting
- 6 ounces evaporated milk
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 2 egg yolks, beaten slightly
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 1⁄2 ounces flaked coconut, about 1 1/3 cups
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Pour boiling water over oatmeal and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Cream the sugars and butter together; add eggs.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet mixture.
- Bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 55 minutes in a greased 9x13 inch pan.
- Coconut Pecan Frosting:.
- Mix evaporated milk, sugar, butter, egg yoks and vanilla in saucepan.
- Cook and stir on medium heat until thickened and golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in coconut and pecans.
- Cool to room temperature, and spreading consistency, before spreading on cooled cake.
I have a recipe for an oatmeal cake I love. It is very similar to the ingredients of this one, but you pour the boiling water over the oatmeal AND a cup of raisins. However, the frosting recipe that came with the cake I've made for years and years was always a FLOP. I did some searching and found this oatmeal cake's coconut pecan frosting. Hooray! I now have the PERFECT frosting for an oatmeal cake! Next time I'll even try the oatmeal cake recipe listed here. I also didn't have pecans, so I used chopped walnuts. GREAT recipe! Thank you!
Wow! What a cake! This cake reminds me of the cake my Mother used to make. I followed the instructions exactly. I had to cook it about 5 minutes longer. The frosting came out perfect. I ran it under the broiler for a few minutes until it started to bubble. What a cake!
OHHH so good! The cake was even better on the second day, so we finished it! I halved the recipe and baked it in a bundt pan at 325 for 45 minutes. It made a nice small bundt cake for my DH and I to snack on for two days. The cake is very moist and become even more so overnight. The icing is one of my favorites, but that cake would be good without it too :) Thanks for posting!