Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
I have been using this recipe for years! It comes from the Junior League of Tyler, Texas and is amazing. I have made some minor adjustments and make it often for potlucks...always gets a solid "thumbs up". One friend told me "oh my wife won't eat it because it has curry in it"...guess what, she went for seconds (possibly thirds). You can adjust the amount of curry to your taste. The original recipe calls for celery but I have sometimes substituted it with green pepper. This is definitely better the second day. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do :)
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (or canola oil)
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 teaspoon curry powder (more or less according to taste)
- 1 1⁄3 cups hot cooked long-grain rice
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery (or substitute chopped green pepper)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas (undercooked)
- chopped parsley (to garnish) (optional)
- Mix vinegar, oil, mayonnaise, salt and curry powder together until well blended.
- Cook rice until just done.
- Add rice to mixture, then add chopped onion while rice is hot.
- When rice is cooled, add celery (or green pepper) and peas.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours however, I recommend over night for the best flavour.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley, if desired.