Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 4 mins
I just LOVE pound cake!
Make and share this "sara Lee" Pound Cake - Copycat recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 lb butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 2⁄3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325º.
- Spray 8-1/2" Pyrex loaf dish with Pam. Cream butter with sugar on high speed of mixer for 5 minutes.
- Add 1 egg and then a little flour, beating 2 minutes.
- Add 2nd egg and half of remaining flour and beat 2 minutes.
- Add sour cream, rest of flour and extracts, beating 2 minutes.
- Spread batter evenly in dish.
- Bake for 65 minutes or until tester comes out clean.
- Remove from dish. Slice 1/2" thick.
- Be sure to slice before freezing loaf.
- Thaw to use within 6 months.
Very disappointed in this recipe. The cake did have a good texture and was very pretty, but it tasted nothing like Sara Lee's cake. It smelled devine, but the taste was very blah and heavy. My husband who adores pound cake was very disappointed. Will not make again.
I quite enjoyed this recipe - I am a HUGE fan of Sara Lee pound cake, and while this one is not exactly the same, it is still great. I now make it and serve with fresh fruit and whip cream as a summer dessert.
Being Australian I am not very familiar with what a pound cake should actually be like but this was a beautiful soft cake - perfectly cooked in the time given. We ate it warm with cream and it was so delicious. Ours got a bit stuck in the pan but I think DD did not grease tin well enough !! Done for ZWT3 so thankyou Wildflour.