Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Posted in response to a request. Found in an online search. I have to admit, it sounds pretty good.... *making note to self to try this soon* EDITED TO SAY: I made this recipe yesterday to take to an early morning meeting at work. It was quite good and everyone liked it... even folks who don't generally like sweet things. I followed the directions exactly... even beating the batter for exactly 8 minutes. The results weren't "gag me w/ a spoon" sweet, thankfully and, altho buttery, not as buttery as the real thing. I will keep the recipe on file for future "I need to take something breakfast-y" reference.
- 1 (25 ounce) box yellow cake mix (Duncan Hines, Betty Crocker, or Pillsbury)
- 1 (3 ounce) box instant vanilla pudding
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon butter flavor extract
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon hot milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon butter flavor extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Butter a 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Beat cake mix, pudding, water, eggs, and oil for 8 minutes at medium speed.
- Add butter extract and vanilla.
- Pour 1/2 of mixture in buttered 9 x 13 pan.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle 1/2 mixture over batter. Spread rest of batter and rest of sugar mixture on top.
- Swirl knife through. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Drizzle with the following: 1 cup powdered sugar 1 Tbsp hot milk 1/2 tsp butter extract 1/4 tsp vanilla.
I just baked this coffee cake and think that it is great! I was hoping for a Sara Lee copy cat but got what I feel is even better than the Sara Lee Butter coffee cake. That's saying a lot because I love Sara Lee products. I don't bake often and have made my share of "oven bricks" that the birds don't even eat. What I am saying is that if I can make it; ANYBODY can make this coffee cake and make you a hero of coffee cake baking! Thanks for putting this on Food,com! I think i will go and have another large piece now.
This is a VERY good coffee cake - nice and moist. I followed the recipe exactly, including the 8 min. mixing. However, I have been trying to find the Sara Lee Butter Streusel Coffee Cake for quite awhile. Apparently my local stores do not stock it any longer. While, unfortunately this didn't quite satisfy my craving, I wll definitely make this again. And DH thinks it is great! Thanks for the recipe!
I've been making this recipe for years. It is the only coffee cake recipe my family wants. (I was actually going to post it today and saw that it was already here). I make the cake exactly as written, but if I'm pushed for time, I sometimes take some canned cake frosting and soften it in the microwave very briefly so that it spreads easily on the cake. It's not as good as making your own, but it is quick in a pinch.