Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
From the Greek Gourmet Traveler Summer 2006 edition for Kerasma. Prep and Cook time an approximation.
- 2 scallions
- 3 tablespoons greek extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup long-grain parboiled rice
- 1 cup water
- 400 g boneless lamb, cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 cups strained Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon of fresh mint, finely chopped
- 20 small cherry tomatoes or 20 small santorini tomatoes
- Light the grill to high.
- Cut off the tops of the scallions and julienne.
- Submerge in ice water.
- Finely chop the remaining scallions and sauté in a little olive oil.
- Add the rice and brown lightly.
- Add the water, salt, and pepper and cook until the rice absorbs most of the water.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Grill the meat to brown lightly.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk the egg yolks until stiff peaks form.
- Combine the yogurt, mint, egg yolks, salt, pepper, and meringue.
- Lightly oil a sheet pan and 4 large ring molds.
- Place a heaping tablespoon of rice on the bottom of each ring mold. Combine the remaining cooked rice with the yogurt mixture.
- Finely chop all but 4 tomatoes and combine with the lightly grilled meat.
- Place a little of the yogurt-rice mixture inside the ring mold, then spread a little of the meat-tomato mixture on top.
- Do the same for the remaining three ring molds.
- Bake in a preheated oven at about 375F (190°C) for 15-20 minutes.
- In the meanwhile, lightly sear the remaining four tomatoes, either on the grill or in a nonstick skillet.
- Remove the tortes from the oven, transfer to 4 serving plates, let cool slightly, remove the ring molds and garnish with one charred tomato and the julienne scallion leaves.