Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Edmonds Cookbook (New Zealand). These cookies are addictive!
Make and share this Sante Biscuits (Cookies) recipe from Food.com.
- 125 g butter
- 50 g sugar
- 3 teaspoons sweetened condensed milk
- 175 g flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 50 g dark chocolate
- 1. Cream butter, sugar and condensed milk; add essence.
- 2. Add dry ingredients and chopped chocolate. Roll into small balls.
- 3. Place on cold greased trays. Flatten with a fork.
- 4. Bake for 20 minutes at 180 degrees celsius (350F).
I have been making these for 40 years, they are the most delicious biscuit. The original recipe from the Edmonds book had 3 tablespoons of condensed milk. It has somehow been transcribed as 3 teaspoons on most internet versions, which may explain why some people comment that they are quite dry.
No NZ childhood would be without these cookies. Fail proof and are eaten before you can blink.
These are insanely good. Think shortbread with chocolate chips... A bit on the dry side, but it makes that cold glass of milk even better (and that's coming from someone who NEVER drinks milk!).
We did have a little accident (cooking with the littles) and ended up doubling the amount of chocolate chips... Not a problem in our house, tho! I also need to increase cooking time by 2 min. Again, no biggie.