Recipe by Lainey6605
I forget where I got this recipe, but they are so good. I often take these to work and my co-workers just love them! I especially like to make them on holiday mornings. They are worth the time it takes to prepare! They never last long anywhere I take them. I suggest this recipe for experienced bakers. Edited 1/4/08 to correct yeast package amounts.
Top Review by Annacia
DH was half way through a roll when he said that the had to be 5 stars. I skipped the glaze as I have no powdered sugar in the house. I think that the dough withs have risen higher but my mixed self destructed after I had just started the beating (I have to get a stand mixer!). I used brown sugar, cinnamon and raisins for the filling as that is what dh likes and I made them for him.
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages fast rise yeast
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 8 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar, plus
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups milk, plus
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 12 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1 (6 ounce) can pecans, chopped (optional)
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, combine yeast, salt, 2 cups flour and 2/3 cup sugar.
- Heat 2 cups of milk and 6 T butter. Gradually beat liquid into dry ingredients until blended.
- Increase speed; beat 2 minutes. Beat in eggs and 1 cup flour; beat 2 minutes.
- Stir in 5 cups flour. Knead dough 10 minutes. Shape dough into ball. Cover and let rest for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt 6 T butter. Mix nuts, cinnamon and 1 1/2 cups sugar.
- Grease roasting pan.
- Cut dough in half and roll into 20 x 10-inch rectangle. You shouldn't need flour to roll dough.
- Brush dough with 1/3 of the butter; sprinkle with half of cinnamon/sugar mixture. Roll into jelly roll fashion. Slice crosswise.
- Repeat with other half of dough. Cover and let rise 30 minutes in pan.
- Then brush with remaining butter. (If necessary, melt some more butter and pour over rolls).
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
- For Glaze: In cup, mix powdered sugar with 4 t milk. Brush glaze over hot rolls.